CSR is a leading building products company for residential and commercial construction and the name behind some of the market’s most trusted and recognised brands.
The company’s strategy is centred around value creation for all their stakeholders by providing leading building products and systems with a strong distribution network to service customers across Australia and New Zealand.
To date, CSR have been using different DevOps market toolsets to function and support their product stack. However, as part of their digital transformation journey, they have started streamlining the organisation and embedding new ways of working, with a transition towards simple, easy-to-use online platforms.
To enable this change, CSR needed to transform their DevOps ecosystem and chose GitHub as their strategic Enterprise Cloud Platform solution to:
- Modernise their approach towards application development and deployment toolsets across all departments and teams to enhance operability & maintainability, improve application performance and reduce delivery lead times
- Leverage GitHub’s security features to automate and secure code repositories and deployment workflows
- Reduce support and licensing overhead costs
The team at CSR were seeking a partner who could design and build their Enterprise Cloud architecture with an industry-leading toolset to provide the automation of their code repositories onto a modern Enterprise scale solution, without disrupting their day-to-day business operations.
Arinco partnered with the CSR digital transformation team to deliver our GitHub Migrations Done Right accelerator, which involved implementing GitHub best practices for security, automation and migration.
The accelerator was uniquely tailored to meet CSR’s business and technical requirements with automation and migration scripts developed to assist the team in migrating project code and branch history, as well as providing training on GitHub automation workflows.
The key activities of the migration plan included:
- Workshops to discuss the GitHub Enterprise Framework, strategies & toolsets, understand the current landscape to identify optimisations and define expected outcomes
- Architectural and solution design recommendations
- Configuring GitHub Enterprise – Azure AD integration, base security, access levels, team & organisation hierarchy, and authentication with the identity provider
- Developing scripts required to do source code migration of the defined project apps and repos
- CI/CD Automation – Execution of continuous integration pipelines that produced deployable artefacts to Azure using GitHub actions
- Utilised GitHub pages for documentation including migration architecture, post-deployment guides and adoption strategies
- Handover sessions with the digital team including demonstrations, best practice and migration guidance
- A plan for potential risks and gaps in legacy environments and recommendations for future remediation
Arinco implemented the GitHub Enterprise Framework with automation scripts for applications and repository migrations, without any downtime to the business and within the agreed timelines.
Further, documentation was provided as artifacts for this engagement along with a demonstration on how to deploy a webapp to Azure using GitHub workflows.
The following outcomes were also achieved:
- Assessment and planning time was reduced by utilising the automation scripts provided to plan the migration of the remaining repositories from their legacy platforms (approx. 500+ repos).
- Synchronicity across multiple departments with teams now able to collaborate and deliver using GitHub’s vast feature sets.
- Enhanced security controls using Azure AD integration with single sign-on
- Identification and remediation of dependencies and vulnerabilities in code using advanced features like Dependabot and code scanning.
Following the implementation to GitHub Enterprise Cloud, departments and teams are now more connected towards developing, delivering, and innovating their applications in line with their strategic digital transformation goals.
As part of the next phase, we are now looking at helping them streamline their Azure revenue and building pipelines in an advisory scoping engagement, giving them the ability to build on the technical foundations they have today.