OZ Minerals is an Australian based modern mining company with a focus on copper. The company’s strategy is centred around value creation for all its stakeholders, and supports the achievement of their purpose, “Going beyond what’s possible to make lives better.”
To support a culture of data-driven decision making, the Insights Hub team at OZ Minerals provide insights and intelligence to their workforce, making sure they have access to the right information at the right time.
The team sought a solution to uplift their DevOps tooling onto the GitHub Enterprise Cloud platform in order to:
- Reduce administration overheads associated with maintaining legacy infrastructure
- Modernise their approach to cloud native development to improve overall application performance and delivery.
Although the process to move other parts of the business over to the GitHub Enterprise Cloud had begun, core code and intellectual property for the Insights Hub team still sat in legacy systems.
The Insights Hub team were seeking a partner who could deliver GitHub Enterprise Cloud, built on GitHub and Microsoft recommendations, and onboard code repositories from GitHub Enterprise Server.
The Arinco crew partnered with the OZ Minerals Insights Hub team to deliver our GitHub Migrations Done Right accelerator, moving close to 100 core business repositories onto GitHub Enterprise Cloud.
To ensure a smooth and seamless migration, Arinco first needed to understand the current business landscape and review their environment to identify any opportunities for GitHub Enterprise optimisation.
Following this, Arinco’s GitHub migration framework was tailored to meet OZ Minerals’ business requirements, accompanied by scripts automating manual processes to complete the migration.
Key activities included:
- Collaboration with internal teams throughout the entire project including migration planning activities
- Technical assessments and reviews of existing landscape, identifying optimisation opportunities
- Documentation of readiness reports and solution design
- Development of scripts required to automate manual processes for pre/post migration
- Migration of nearly 100 repositories to GitHub Enterprise Cloud
- Handover sessions, ensuring the Insights Hub and ITOps teams had appropriate knowledge of the migration solution and processes
Arinco performed a migration of OZ Minerals code repositories over to the GitHub Enterprise Cloud, without disruptions to the business.
Further outcomes achieved, included:
- Continuous pace of development for internal teams, with migration windows of less than1 hour
- The administrative overheads of managing infrastructure and code on different platforms was removed
- Delivery quality and performance improved, with the ability to leverage GitHub features that were previously unavailable
With core business code now onboarded to a more modern platform, OZ Minerals has greater internal efficiency to innovate on the GitHub Platform.